This is the baby shower one...well I made about 50 but this was my first one. They don't have to be triangles but they are easy to cut
1) Felt in a few colors (check out Michael's or JoAnn's--they have precut 8.5 by 11 pieces of felt and that brand they carry is made from recycled plastic bottles!
2) Sewing machine. (If you don't have a sewing machine you can do a few things: a) hand sew (BORING); b) use clothes pins or binder clips to attach the buntings to the ribbon; c) use a hole puncher in the corners of the buntings where you would be sewing and string the ribbon through.
4) Rotary Cutter, Cutting Mat and Clear Ruler--you don't technically need these but it is SO much easier to do this, especially if you're cutting a shape in bulk as I was.
5) Ribbon. I used about an inch thick grosgrain ribbon to bind. If you are using the hole punch method you probably want to use a thinner ribbon.
6) Coordinating thread (if you're sewing)
7) Pins (if you're sewing)
1) Start by figuring out what shape you want. I love the triangles, so at first I made a template that was three inches by three inches. This is a great idea if you don't have a rotary cutter and mat because you can just follow the line with your scissors. With the rotary cutter you can cut about three levels of felt at once.
4) If you want to make the type of bunting that is just sewn and doesn't use ribbon, just sew through the middle of each of the pieces. You can do this with paper too. It's way faster but much more delicate. This is what that technique looks like up close: