I know...it's hard to conceive of shortbread being low fat. But I've found a way to make it delicious without the real butter! It takes longer to cook and usually is chewier than regular shortbread, but still yummy!
1 cup Smart Balance (about half a tub)
2 cups flour
3/4 cups granulated sugar
Optional: chopped dried cranberries, almonds, walnuts...whatever you like
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients in mixer. Mix with electric mixer until well incorporated and crumbly.
3. Add optional ingredients now with the mixer.
4. Spray a generous amount of Pam in the pan you will be using.
5. Press the shortbread mix into the pan.
6. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes on the middle rack.
7. Use the tines in a fork to put holes in the top of the shortbread (if desired) and cut the shortbread into the desired size pieces you want. Remove the pieces to a cooling rack before the shortbread starts to cool.
8. You can add frosting, powdered sugar, or anything else you can think of to the top if desired.